Friday 3 November 2006

It's been a funny old week this one...many challenges, many excitements, and many thoughtful moments!

For some reason the week seems to have revolved around the topic of passion! Poor Claire my housemate got the full brunt of my thinking on Wednesday evening as I got home from Build - "Why do we insist not playing at youthministry?" was my main gripe.

It's not that Build had been a bad evening, in fact it had been great, one of the young people led the group I was in with, for the first time ever, and did really well, he was great. So why did I come away feeling that, the evening had only half achieved what it should have or could have? The problem is, (I think) that the Church in the West has become content with satisfactory, what we do is alright, maybe good at times, but should youthministry ever be good? Or should it be great, amazing, awesome, and inspirational? Shouldn't we as leaders and youthworkers be so passionate about the privileged that it is to serve Jesus by working with young people, that the work we produce is never satisfactory, but always amazing?

We sometimes wonder why the Bible Study or the prayer meeting is poorly attended, or has very little impact on the lives of either the young people or ourselves. But how can we expect these things to have any impact on their lives if we haven’t got the drive and the passion to actually make them inspiring, to help them, to understand and to become passionate themselves?

We shouldn't count bums on seats I agree, but I would love in a year’s time to be having difficulty fitting the number of young people that want to attend our activities, into our buildings. I'm not saying I want young people to attend for the sake of attending and making me look good. But if we look at the church of Acts2:24-27 we see that the Lord was adding to their number daily, why was that? It was because what was going on was attractive - and what was it that was attractive? It was the apostle’s lifestyle, their love for each other and God, and their passion was inspirational! If you don’t believe me, just read some of Peter’s speeches!


So if all we do is continue to play at youthministry, and continue to ask God to bless the thing we have planed and organised, then do we really expect to see more and more people being saved? What we need to do is seek God, get passionate about the things he can do and does do, expect miracles, and you never know, we might even see a few! We need to stop being content, and start getting passionate, stop being content with satisfactory, and instead glorify God with inspirational.

1 comment:

moog said...

Hey Matt, just noticed some traffic arriving at my blog from this source. I check it out and find you have a blog!

Nice one.

Though I'd probably say that in Acts 2 people came to Christ, not through it's attractiveness but due to an outpouring of the spirit. A realisation of God's grace. Not hey look at those guys aren't they great, I want to be like them, but having an epiphany of the risen christ and wanting to follow his path